After many years spent in writing, painting, etching, using reams of paper, I ended up (since 2006) working with porcelain as well.
It was a revelation; many of the things I did before converged; painting, drawing, casting, writing, engraving, printing...
Although I like making “normal” cups and plates, tiles with fishes, birds and fountains,
I like to experiment constantly and than, somehow, I find myself using the material like paper or trying to make it look like paper;
printed on, incised and folded... .
I am fascinated by the fragility but also the strength of this ceramic material and, perhaps due to the history of my journey through the world of art, I love to transfer the qualities of paper to this material to resemble paper, crumpled, covered with writing and folded,
exploiting its transparency, its different surface qualities, its capacity to catch and preserve colors on the inside as well as on the outside , underneath and over its glossy, satin or matt skin.
I stretch it, paint it, fold it, going to the limits of its strength, fragility and transparency.
And it often leaves me in desperation because of its fragility.
It leaves me breathless with the feeling of happiness to see its fragile intensity.
For years I worked as an artist (manily making paintings and etchings), before going abroad with my husband and three boys.
At that time I studied biology and philosophy at the University of Wageningen in the Netherlands and followed etching courses in Amsterdam, bronze casting (lost wax) in Wageningen [with Ben Joosten] drawing from models at the Art Academy Minerva in Groningen.
Work (ceramics, etchings, paintings, art books, photographs) is in various public places in Holland, Spain, Chile, Korea, Australia, Portugal, Romania, U.S.A. and Italy.
I published poetry, short stories and translations on the literary review “Hollands Maandblad“ Poetry was published by Cadans as 'Carthago in het Middaglicht'. My photography has won international awards and exposure (www.margrij.com).
Currently I live and work near Milan (Italy).
- cica2017 - "Concurs Internacional de Ceràmica de l'Alcora - Spain
- XIII Bienal de Aveiro – Portugal (honorable mention)
- Cerco 2017 bienal de ceramica, Zaragosa, Spain
- Cluj Ceramics Biennale - Cluj Napoca Romania
- publication (interview) in the kleine K magazine (oktober 2017 edition)
- Zoia gallery (Milano, Italy) - small is beautiful
- Esplugues Biennal de Ceràmica 2016
- Artemisia Abbiategrasso
- Alliages "du BOL" Lille (France)
- Artemisia – Abbiategrasso
- "COMUNICART-igiano" Castello di Abbiategrasso (Italy)
- Bienala Internationala de Ceramica Cluj (Romania)
- 150 mani exhibition a Bruxelles/Brussels
- Bayou Flower - selected for the 28th Gold Coast Award Exhibition (Australia)
- NIBE (Milano, Italy)- C'è il mare a Milano
- selected for the international conebox show (U.S.A.)
- Phoenix Flowers selected for the Santorini Biennale (Greece)
- solo exhibition in the Viscontean Castle of Abbiategrasso (Italy)-
“Ninfee ed altri fiori” Ceramics and Photography
- IV BICMA. Museu del Fang. Sa Cabaneta- Marratxí
- Galateea Gallery, Bucharest (Romania)
- Ceramics Now exhibition in Cluj Napoca (Romania)
- The "Enchanted Flowers" Gyeonggi International Ceramix Biennale
exhibition 2011 (Korea)
- Interview in "Ceramics Now Newsletter”
- Ten years of modern ceramics : DIEZ AÑOS DE CERÁMICA
CONTEMPORÁNEA- Cerco , Zaragoza, (Spain).
- Elit-tile 2010 Mejor Tile Concepto, (Best Tile Concept)-Premio Fundación
Altos de Chavón "Por el diálogo entre la porcelana y el esmaltado que
funde el escenario con el planteamiento temático" (Dominican Republic)
- “un omaggio a Deruta” - Centro d’Arte e Cultura “Torre Strozzi” - Parlesca
- Argillà 2010 – Faenza (Italy)
- Grimmerhus museum (Denmark) 2010
- "Paperficial” - craft2eu - Hamburg (Germany)
- Westerwald Keramik Museum (Germany)
- Honorable mention 5th World Ceramic Biennale (CEBIKO), (Korea)
- Biennial of Manises (Spain)
- Biennial of Aveiro (Portugal)
- L'Alcora (Spain)
- "Folded Love Letters series" 2ndpremium CERCO 2008 (Zaragoza, Spain)
- L'Alcora , Spain
- Biennale de L'Esplugues , Spain
- 26th Gold Coast Award, (Australia)
- first Argillà ceramic Fair Faenza (Italy)
- Fiera della Ceramica Firenze (Italy)
- Lark Books “500 ceramic sculptures” (spring 2009 and summer 1010)
- Publication in Ceramics now (issue 1 dec. 2011)
Publications (online, not listing all of them)
- de kleine K (oktober 2017)
- nefolomanzia (la schiuma dei giorni)
- italian touch boulevard (le raffinate porcellane di Margrieta Jeltema)
- A.M.T.Meyer (philosophy and the urn)
- Neuramagazine (a Milano c'è il mare)
- Ceramics Now (interview)